Monday, December 7, 2009

Not enough hours in the day

I always knew that juggling a career, marriage, and motherhood would be difficult.

It is so much more difficult that I imagined.

I feel like I start everyday already behind in most of those categories. And it's not that I lack time management skills (which could be better, but by necessity, I don't really waste a lot of time. Except for right now).

It's the emotional part of it. Something or someone always gets left out: my patients, Coby, Andy, parents, friends. And carving out time for yourself is doubly hard. At the end of the day, I am frustrated with what I didn't get done, which just adds more to the to-do list for the next day.

Will I ever catch up?

And don't let this post fool you-I wouldn't change my life for anything. Even more free time. I just have to learn to reorganize my priorities and create a shorter to-do list. I've been a parent for only 8 weeks, so I feel like I am still learning how to juggle life. And it is getting easier...I think.

4 comments:

Miles of Smiles said...

It does get easier. I promise.

KSKH said...

You are doing a great job. It does get easier. You are lucky to have a great support system around you that I am sure helps out. If it makes you feel any better, I have been a parent for 3 years and some days I still feel like that.

Stephanie Toth said...

Thanks, guys. I am amazingly lucky to have wonderful parents and in-laws who have been here with us every step of the way. I feel like the time management part is getting better, but the guilt continues. Sometimes I see Andy for only 2 hours every day, Coby for a little more than that. It's just hard to come to the realization that this is what the next 20-30 years will be like (if I don't happen to win the lottery-which I don't even play :)). But, overall, life is pretty good.

Petra said...

It's all part of the fun. :)

I don't go to work every day, but I still have the same issues with six kids... "am I spending enough time with Darby?", "Does it matter that Jacob watches twice the TV that Brittany watched at his age and I spend half the time doing 'school' type things with him than I did Brittany?"...etc...

My theory (and I've been doing this for 16 years and all my kids seem pretty well-rounded and they all still like me - so far anyway ;)) is that as long as you just love your kids and show them affection, the rest of it all balances out. Even if you only have a couple hours a day to do it. :) Just realize you can't be superwoman (even the moms I know who 'seem' like superwoman on the outside still struggle with various things), and it's okay if the house is a mess, if you have waffles for lunch, and if you spend a few minutes here and there zoned out on blogs and facebook. I have a feeling you are already a GREAT mom!! :)