Friday, November 27, 2009

Scout


Our sweet 9 year-old Boxer, Scout, is sick.


She has been slowly losing weight over the past 6 months, but it seems to have accelerated recently. She has never been overweight, always weighing in around 60lbs. But she is now 50lbs, almost 20% of her bodyweight lost! Her appetite, activity level, temperment, etc... is the same. Nothing unusual going on except the weight loss. Coby and I put off the vet appointment for at least one month, because we knew it couldn't be good news. The beginning of the end of our other Boxer, Oscar, started the same way. All lab work is okay, but her xrays show two large tumors on her heart. The vet says they are likely hemangiosarcomas, a malignant cancer seen in Boxers, especially on the heart. There is no treatment. So she is now on prednisone twice daily to help with inflammation and hopefully slow the weight loss. She is such a sweet girl, and I don't know what we will do without her.

5 comments:

Amber and Luke said...

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it can be. :(

Mendy said...

I linked to your blog from the Burr's (good friends of ours). My name is Mendy and our family loves our boxer(s). We lost our fawn black mask in November 2006, she passed away the same way (weight loss). Her x-rays and all scans showed NO tumors??? It was likely a genetic abnormality as we bought her from a person who we later discovered was running a puppy mill (so sad). She was 4 and I still struggle every day. We have her brindle black mask puppy, Lola, who is now 5. I am so sorry about Scout, no one really understands until they have been through it. Lola sends her get well wishes to Scout!

Petra said...

Awww... poor Scout! :-(

Jayne said...

Oh, Stephanie - I'm so sorry! I hope the prednisone helps. I imagine your mom is sad too - I know how much she loves Scout. FYI - Rebecca and Larry just (last Thursday) lost Phoebe, their sweet 11-year-old Golden Retriever/Lab. Same kind of story - weight loss, and a subsequent cancer diagnosis - but it was too far gone to treat. Very hard! I'll be thinking about you and hoping for the best! Love and hugs from your Aunt Jayne

Kelli said...

I am so sorry miss...makes me sad!